Chronic Disease Management Prevention Programme
What is a chronic disease?
A chronic disease is a long-term health condition that needs ongoing treatment and management. Cardiovascular disease and diabetes are considered chronic diseases.
Benefits of the programme
The programme is designed so that you and your GP (family doctor) can work together on reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular disease, diabetes or both.
The Prevention Programme supports you by providing:
– an annual review with your GP and practice nurse
– a review of your medication
– a plan to help you manage your risk factors
– health promotion advice
– appropriate medical treatment
– referrals to support services, if required
– care in your community, close to your home