Mirena Coil and Implanon Insertion
- If you are a patient wishing to have a Mirena coil or Implanon inserted for the first time, you should book in initially for a no obligation pre-counselling consult which is normally 15 minutes in length. A fee is applicable for this consult.
- The pre-counselling consult will give your GP an opportunity to talk to you about the pros and cons of each type of contraception. You will have the opportunity to ask questions or satisfy concerns or anxieties.
- During the pre-counselling consult, if you should decide to proceed, you will be required to sign a consent form.
- We will schedule a further appointment with you for the insertion. Of course you don’t need to decide during this consult and in fact it is advised you take time to make your decision.
- If you decide later that you would like to proceed, you must be on a bridging contraception such as pre-existing Coil/Implanon, contraceptive pill or contraceptive injection or patch.
- On the date you book in for the Mirena coil or Implanon, it is important you are on your period.
Mirena Coil and Implanon Removal and Insertion
- If you ALREADY have Implanon or Mirena coil in and are booking in for removal and RE-FIT, it must be within the 3 year replacement timeframe for Implanon or 5 year time frame for Mirena coil.
- It is important that you remind yourself of when your expiration date is due as you may not be recalled by your GP.
- If you are within the replacement timeframes, you don’t require a pre counselling consult.